The Alberta Amateur Hockey Association (Hockey Alberta) is seeking qualified candidates for one (1) Director at Large position on its Board of Directors. Deadline to submit a nomination package is AUGUST 31, 2020.
APPLICATION / NOMINATION FORM >
Hockey Alberta is the governing body for organized amateur hockey in the Province of Alberta. The Board provides oversight and approves the vision and policy framework for the organization to carry out its operations. The Board operates under a policy governance model, and is accountable to its Members, ensuring that the mission, vision and values of Hockey Alberta are carried out by the organization. Operations are delegated to the Chief Executive Officer. The Board holds monthly meetings, either in-person in Hockey Alberta’s head office in Red Deer or via phone/ digital platform.
For 2020, the Board has approved the Nominations Committee to seek candidates that meet one or more of the following key criteria in each of two main categories:
- Visible Minority
- Younger Age Demographic
II. Skills / Experience
- Advocacy (such as government relations / lobbying)
- Communications (such as public relation / sales/ marketing/ branding)
- Hockey Alberta Member Knowledge/ Experience
In addition to the competencies identified above:
- Previous experience on the Hockey Alberta Board is an asset.
- Previous experience on a not-for-profit board and knowledge of the workings of a board from a good governance perspective are preferred.
- An ICD (Institute of Corporate Directors) designation or equivalent training or experience working with a Board is an asset.
- Experience and understanding of the workings of a Provincial Sport Organization is an asset.
- Successful completion of a Criminal Record Check is required.
DIRECTOR AT LARGE JOB DESCRIPTION >
The Governance Committee of Hockey Alberta has created an external three-person Nominations Committee that includes a former Chair of the Board of Directors.
All submitted applications are reviewed by the Nominations Committee. Through the application and interview process, the Nominations Committee will prepare a group of qualified candidates endorsed by the Nominations Committee to be presented to the membership for election.
Board of Director positions are elected by the Members of Hockey Alberta at the Annual General Meeting (AGM). The 2020 AGM is scheduled for Saturday, November 21. The intention is to have the meeting in person, however there are provisions if a virtual meeting is required. Elected individuals will serve a term of three years.
Each candidate is required to be nominated by a Member of Hockey Alberta, as defined in Article 2 of the Bylaws of the Alberta Amateur Hockey Association.
The links below to the Hockey Alberta website provide more information on Hockey Alberta Bylaws, and the Board’s Governance Model, Code of Conduct, and Conflict of Interest policy. Candidates are required to complete a conflict of interest declaration with their application.
For more information, please contact:
Rob Virgil Rob Litwinski
Nominations Committee Chair, Hockey Alberta CEO, Hockey Alberta
[email protected] [email protected]