Hockey Alberta has a number of opportunities to gain valuable experience working as athletic therapists or equipment managers with aspiring elite male and female players at various levels in the Team Alberta program. Please note that all positions within Team Alberta programs are volunteer positions.
Therapists and equipment managers have the opportunity to learn, and become more proficient in dressing room setup, bench management, equipment skills, skate sharpening, injury care, taping and wrapping, communication within a team, and general preparation and organization. Each event will challenge the medical and equipment skills of the support staff members, as well as their mental preparedness. At some events, mentors are present to provide feedback and suggestions.
In the Male program, therapists and equipment managers are needed for the following events and camps:
- Alberta Cup, held annually, six regional teams
- Prospects Cup, held every other year, eight regional teams
- Alberta Winter Games, held in even-numbered years, eight regional teams
- U16 Summer Selection Camp, annual six-day camp, 80 players
- WHL Cup or Canada Winter Game, top 20 selected athletes in Alberta
- World Under-17 Hockey Challenge (Alberta trainers may be selected to work with one of the three teams representing Canada)
In the Female program, therapists and equipment managers are needed for the following events and camps:
- Alberta Challenge, held in odd-numbered years, six regional teams
- Alberta Winter Games, held even-numbered years, six regional teams
- U16 Female Summer Camp, annual four-day camp, 60 players
- U18 Summer Selection Camp, annual six-day camp, 68 players
- Team Alberta, National Women’s Under 18 Championships or Canada Winter Games, top 20 selected players in Alberta