Noted hockey author Allyson Tufts knows the key role that minor hockey volunteers play in ensuring amateur hockey can operate.
Hockey Alberta has a number of standing operational committees that help to administer the game of hockey throughout the season. The volunteers on the committees provide service to member MHAs and Club Teams, interpret regulations, and contribute to discussions about future changes in the game.
Hockey Alberta is committed to the development of our volunteers, both as a person and in their volunteer roles. Hockey Alberta dedicates specific time for training and exchanging of ideas through a volunteer leadership retreat and meetings throughout the year. And we recognize our volunteers with things such as a season kick-off gift, tenure recognition and gifts, and social activities.
Hockey Alberta is proud to say that our volunteers are:
- Reliable - providing consistent, timely, responsive performance.
- Respectful - giving serious consideration and respectful treatment to people or situations that arise.
- Invested - utilizing time and skills for the purpose or achievement of goals associated with Hockey Alberta.
- Professional - demonstrating behavior of the highest standard regardless of the audience.
Hockey Alberta is accepting applications to fill volunteer roles within our Operational Committees for the 2021-22 hockey season. Go to the Committee Chairs or Committee Delegates tabs below for the list of positions available, and links to the position description for each. Applications are to be submitted via online form.
Committees provide direction to the Chief Executive Officer on issues related to their specific stakeholders (for example, female hockey or junior hockey participants). This is done through active engagement and regular communication with the stakeholders the committee represents, understanding the overall hockey landscape and how it applies to those committee stakeholders, and providing meaningful input during meetings. Hockey Alberta believes that its committees provide a diverse set of opinions and leave no stone unturned when coming to a decision or recommendation.
The information provided by Hockey Alberta’s Committees to the Chief Executive Officer helps direct:
- Operational decisions such as the AA hockey model.
- Strategic decisions such as the body checking decision.
- Governance decisions such as Hockey Alberta’s change to a Board of Directors policy governance model.
Committees that fit this role include: Senior Male, Junior B/C, Female, Player Safety, and Indigenous Hockey committees.
Hockey Alberta Committees also fulfill some of the key functions of the organization, including human resources, and the day-to-day administration of the game. Administrative responsibilities include:
- Ensuring players meet age and location criteria.
- Ensuring teams are properly registered.
- Ensuring players are insured for the activities in which they participate.
- Undertaking disciplinary action, when required.
These committees include: Minor Administration, Minor Female, Minor Leagues, Minor Discipline, Elite Male and Elite Female committees.
Committee Chair positions are appointed every two years.
Applications currently are being accepted from interested and qualified individuals for the following positions:
Other Committee Chair positions at Hockey Alberta include:
Committee Delegate/ Coordinator positions are appointed every year.
Committee Delegate/ Coordinator positions are currently appointed.
Other Committee Delegate/ Coordinator positions at Hockey Alberta include:
Officials’ Committee Coordinator positions are appointed every year.
Hockey Alberta Officials Regional Committees
Volunteers fill many key leadership roles within each Officials Region across the province. Applications currently are being accepted. Regions may have some different positions available, so please use the form for the region in which you reside.