2024 Alberta Challenge Apprentice Coach Application
General Event Information
The Alberta Challenge allows for athlete evaluation and development through regional selection camps and a six-team tournament format. Athletes will be selected from regional selection camps with three teams representing each region. U15-aged players (2009 & 2010 born) are eligible for the 2024 Alberta Challenge. Regional camps are open tryouts and are held in April prior to the Challenge.
Apprentice Coach Information
Hockey Alberta is seeking six (6) Apprentice Coaches for the 2023 Alberta Challenge. The Apprentice Coach Program aims to provide an opportunity for aspiring female coaches to develop in a safe environment through the U16 Team Alberta Female High-Performance Program. If you are interested in learning more about coaching or are considering coaching in the future, this program presents the unique opportunity to learn from and engage with the Alberta Challenge Coaching Staffs and the Coach Mentor throughout the short-term competition process.
The Apprentice Coach Program will provide a safe environment for female coaches to:
- Develop coaching skills in several areas
- Transition from playing to coaching
- Understand the principles of coaching in short-term competition
- Give back to the sport
- Foster an interest in coaching female hockey
- Learn from others and create connections
- All applications must be submitted via the online application form to the Hockey Alberta Office by October 30.
- Apprentice Coaches will be selected and notified by the Hockey Alberta Coaches Selection Committee.
- Unsuccessful coaches will be notified by email.
Program Timelines and Expected Commitment
All Apprentice Coaches are expected to commit to the following activities:
- Apprentice Coach Program Introduction: January TBD (Virtual)
- Team Planning Conference Calls: January-March (set by each individual team)
- Regional Camps: April 5-7 in North and South locations
- Alberta Challenge Competition: May 1-5 (Red Deer)
Please note that these coaching positions are not paid positions and all coaches are required to complete a Criminal Record Check. Your expenses, including mileage, meals and accommodation costs will be covered through the program as budgeted funds allow. Bearing all the above in mind, we would ask all those coaches interested in applying to coach, please complete the form below.