2024 Alberta Cup Coach Application
The Alberta Cup is a core Hockey Alberta Development Program. It provides all players, coaches, trainers and referees an equal opportunity to discover the great qualities of competitive hockey in a well-organized and fair regional camp and select team competition.
As part of the program an emphasis is placed on the development and identification of Alberta’s best hockey people; that might have an opportunity to represent Alberta at future national or international events. The Alberta Cup leads able participants through the development process to the Team Alberta program.
The preparation and training of the coaches, trainers and referees for the Alberta Cup is crucial to the success of the program and ensures quality leadership for the future of Hockey in Alberta. Hockey Alberta routinely selects only the best available coaches, trainers and referees to develop, but ensures their commitment to excellence and fairness in the program.
"We are dedicated to providing progressive opportunities for coaches to develop technical skills and leadership qualities, while promoting safety and fairplay."
2024 Alberta Cup: April 24 - April 28 (Red Deer)
- We are looking for one head coach and two assistant coaches to lead each Alberta Cup Zone Team through regional camps, team training and the Alberta Cup competition.
- Open tryout for all male athletes registered with Hockey Alberta born in 2009.
- Applicants should be coaching at the competitive U15 level or higher and all applicants must have a minimum of Development I Level qualification.
- All applications must be received into the Hockey Alberta Office on or before October 30.
- Coaches will be selected & notified by the Hockey Alberta Coaches Selection Committee.
- Unsuccessful coaches will be notified by email.
The following will be some of the criteria considered in selecting coaches for Hockey Alberta Development Programs:
a) Professional Development
- Minimum level of NCCP Development I Qualification required by all coaches applying
- Education background
- Leadership/Management training courses
- Special volunteer experience in Hockey or Sport
b) Coaching/Hockey Experience
- Level of playing experience
- Level of coaching experience
- Current coaching position
c) Coaching Philosophy
- Personal coaching philosophy
- Personal ambitions in coaching
- Values as a coach
- Knowledge of building team unity
- Knowledge of how to work with others
- Technical/tactical knowledge for short term competition
- Knowledge of player selection/evaluation
Program Timelines and Expected Commitment
All coaches are expected to commit to the following activities:
The competition will be 6 teams. There will be a draft at each of the three regional camps. There will be two Directors of Operations, six Coaches and two Coach Mentors at each camp.
Team Planning Conference Calls
|January - March (set by each individual team)|
|March 29 - 31 (Calgary, Red Deer & Spruce Grove)|
Alberta Cup Competition
|April 24 - 28 (Red Deer)|
Please also note that these coaching positions are not paid positions and all coaches are required to complete a Criminal Record Check. Your expenses, including mileage, meals and accommodation costs will be accommodated through the program as budgeted funds allow. Bearing all the above in mind, we would ask all those coaches interested in applying to coach, please complete the form below.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Hudson Kelly, Coordinator, Elite Male Hockey at [email protected]