Hockey Alberta’s new Recreational Hockey Model is entering its second year of ensuring that families have access to affordable, fun, and safe opportunities to participate in youth hockey with a low time commitment.
Hockey Alberta’s Recreational Hockey Model provides participants with a moderately structured stream of hockey with modified playing rules, limited registration rules and no residency requirements.
As a sanctioned organization/ program within Hockey Alberta, a group has the flexibility to create and maintain its own internal processes to ensure their programming meets the needs of the participants.
And as an incentive for the 2022-2023 season, any program not previously registered with Hockey Alberta that wishes to register a Recreational Hockey Program will be eligible for a reduced rate per participant (players & team officials) for their first season.
Hockey Alberta will be hosting a Recreational Hockey Model Open House on Wednesday, May 18 at 7:30 pm via Zoom. If you have questions, or want to know more about how the Recreational Hockey Model could work for your organization, make sure you attend this session.
The Recreational Hockey Model consists of three (3) streams of hockey, and organizations can choose the stream that makes the most sense for their participants. Each stream offers a varied competitive structure and level of commitment appropriate to the level(s) and age(s) of the participant(s).
When programs are sanctioned under the Recreational Hockey Model, organizers and participants also enjoy an extensive list of benefits, which include:
- Medical and Dental Insurance Coverage for registered participants (players, officials, team officials)
- Directors and Officers Liability Insurance coverage for your Executives and Volunteers.
- Administration and Operational Support from Hockey Alberta staff.
- Player and Coach Development support from Hockey Alberta Regional Managers.
- Support and policy guidance regarding Risk and Conduct Management protocols and processes (screening, complaint handling, Maltreatment, Abuse and Harassment, etc.)
- Access to Hockey Alberta certified officials.
- Plus much more..
If your organization is ready to join our already 50+ sanctioned programs and 5000+ participants, please fill out the Recreational Hockey Program Application.
More information on Hockey Alberta’s Recreational Hockey Model can be found at: