RED DEER – This past Sunday, April 28, Hockey Alberta presented their annual Hockey Alberta Awards in conjunction with the Alberta Cup. These Awards allow Hockey Alberta and the Alberta hockey community to recognize outstanding individuals and teams for their hard work and accomplishments in making a positive difference for our participants in the game of hockey during the 2018-19 season.
The Hockey Alberta Awards program includes awards that are open to nominations from Hockey Alberta member organization, staff member or volunteer, and others that are determined by Hockey Alberta through a review of eligible candidates.
The 2019 Hockey Alberta Award recipients are:
- Volunteer of the Year: Jody Forbes (Calgary). Presented to a volunteer who has made an outstanding contribution to amateur hockey during the current season.
- Coach of the Year: Kent Beagle (Rimbey). Presented to a coach who has made an outstanding contribution to amateur hockey during the current season.
- Player of the Year: Kason Buffalo-Rain (Maskwacis). Presented to a player who has achieved significant achievements, performances and contributions within amateur hockey during the current season.
- Official of the Year: Lacey Senuk (St. Albert). Presented to an official who has made an outstanding contribution to amateur hockey during the current season.
- Ernie Boruk Award: David Mousseau (Red Deer). Presented for outstanding dedication and contribution to Hockey Alberta Officials Committee.
- Dave Ganley Award: Michael Roberts (Calgary). Presented for outstanding contribution to hockey officiating in Alberta
- Team of the Year: Springbank Peewee AA Rockies. Presented to recognize a Team’s significant achievements, performances and contributions within amateur hockey during the current season.
- Order of Merit: These awards recognize exceptional leadership and distinguished service to amateur hockey in Alberta for 10 years or more. Awards may be presented in the categories of Administration, Coaching/Development and officiating. Recipients have dedicated significant time, effort and leadership to the growth and development of amateur hockey, not only in their own community, but across the province.
- Administration - Chris Hurley (Edmonton)
- Coaching/Development – Bobby Fox (Medicine Hat)
- Coaching/Development – Ally Bendfeld (Innisfail)
- Exceptional Provincials Host Site: Vermilion Minor Hockey Association (Bantam B) and Olds Minor Hockey Association (Peewee Female A). Presented to the Minor Hockey Association/ Host Committee judged to have implemented the most outstanding Hockey Alberta Provincial Championship during the current season.
- Minor Hockey Association of the Year: Lacombe Minor Hockey Association. Presented to recognize a Minor Hockey Association (MHA) judged to have made a significant impact on the game through their day to day operations.
Congratulations to all of the Award recipients and nominees and Hockey Alberta and the hockey community thank you for your contributions to our sport.
We encourage everyone to look at the full overview of the Hockey Alberta Awards program and consider who makes a difference to you, your team and your community in 2019-20.