RED DEER - Hockey Alberta welcomed three new members to the Board of Directors on Saturday at the organization’s 111th Annual General Meeting.
Michael Bates of Cochrane, Francois Gagnon of Fort McMurray, and Wilson Gemmill of Grande Prairie were elected as new Directors at Large. A total of six individuals let their names stand for election for three positions.
Bates, Gagnon and Gemmill will join current members Terry Engen (Chair), Fran Zinger (Vice Chair), Rob Virgil (Past Chair), Len Samletzki (Finance Director), Brock Harrington and Allan Mowbray (Directors at Large).
Also recognized during the AGM for their years of volunteer service were:
- 20 Years: Terry Engen
- 10 Years: Randy Hupka, Danny Povaschuk
- 5 Years: Barry Brost, Seema King, Gord Lane, Todd Vance
- Retiring Long-Term Volunteers: Debbie Northcott (Minor Administration Committee), Danny Povaschuk (Minor Regulations Committee)
HOCKEY ALBERTA AWARDS
Prior to the AGM, six individuals, one team, and two minor hockey associations were recognized for their outstanding contributions to hockey in Alberta, as the 2018 Hockey Alberta Awards, sponsored by BFL Canada, were presented.
The Hockey Alberta Awards program was restructured this year to include awards that are open to nominations from Hockey Alberta member organization, staff member or volunteer, and others that are determined by Hockey Alberta through a review of eligible candidates.
The 2018 Hockey Alberta Award recipients are:
- Order of Merit: Debbie Northcott (Caroline) and Brenda Dyck (Edmonton). A maximum of two awards presented to recognize exceptional leadership and distinguished service to amateur hockey in Alberta for 10 years or more. Recipients have dedicated significant effort, time, and leadership to growing and/or developing amateur hockey, not only in their own community, but across the Province.
- Coach of the Year: Kyle McLaughlin (Canmore). Presented to a coach who has made an outstanding contribution to amateur hockey during the current season.
- Official of the Year: Chad Huseby (Red Deer). Presented to an official who has made an outstanding contribution to amateur hockey during the current season.
- Team of the Year: St. Albert Slash Midget Female AAA. Presented to recognize a Team’s significant achievements, performances and contributions within amateur hockey during the current season.
- Exceptional Provincials Host Site: Whitecourt (Atom A) and Rimbey (Midget C). Presented to the Minor Hockey Association/ Host Committee judged to have implemented the most outstanding Hockey Alberta Provincial Championship during the current season.
- Ernie Boruk Award: Kumail Moledina (Edmonton). Presented for outstanding dedication and contribution to Hockey Alberta Officials Committee.
- Dave Ganley Award: Gary Goreniuk (Bonnyville). Presented for outstanding contribution to hockey officiating in Alberta