GivingTuesday is celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving in the United States.
According to its website, givingtuesday.ca, GivingTuesday is a global generosity movement where “charities, companies and individuals join together and rally for favourite causes.”
This year, Hockey Alberta is pleased to highlight organizations that continue to make hockey accessible to every Albertan.
- Sports Central provides sports equipment at no cost to kids in need. Based out of Edmonton, the volunteers also accept gently-used equipment by donation.
- Calgary Flames Sports Bank helps kids and families across southern Alberta access equipment at no cost. The organization works with KidSport Calgary to breakdown the cost of fees and equipment to ensure every child has an opportunity to play sports. The Calgary Flames Sports Bank operates with the help of volunteers and donations.
- KidSport offers grants to help cover the registration costs for sport, allowing all kids to play. Grants can be applied for online and the organization welcomes donations.
- HEROS Hockey uses the game of hockey to teach life-skills and empower marginalized youth. The organizations provides free hockey programming for at risk children and youth, offering a safe and stable environment for them to grow, connect and succeed.
Every kid in every community should have the opportunity to play hockey. Over the years the Hockey Alberta Foundation has given over $1.5 million to help support grassroots minor hockey initiatives and get new players involved in the game.
The Hockey Alberta Foundation raises funds to increase access to hockey throughout Alberta by administering two grant opportunities:
- Every Kid Every Community offers two types of grants. The Player Assistance grant provides financial support to current or new players looking to play hockey. The Community Grant funds new programs or support an existing program focused on recruiting new players. Applications for Every Kid Every Community grants are due October 31, January 31, April 30 and July 31.
- Hockey Alberta Member Grant presented by Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation supports hockey programming in Northern Alberta (Red Deer - north). Priority for funding is given to those in need for leadership development, introduction to hockey, female, para, Indigenous hockey programming, and any inclusion and diversity initiatives. Applications are due November 30 and February 28.
To donate to one of the organizations supporting hockey opportunities across the province, please contact the partner organization in your area or the Hockey Alberta Foundation at foundation.hockeyalberta.ca.