Hockey Alberta’s 2013 Annual General Meeting (AGM), which was attended by over 250 delegates from across the province, concluded Sunday in Red Deer.
Hockey Alberta’s 2013 AGM brought together the governing body’s board of directors, officers, life members, and member organizations, as well as from councils that oversee female hockey, junior hockey, minor hockey, senior hockey and hockey development.
Highlights from Hockey Alberta’s AGM include:
- Hockey Alberta hosted a Body Checking Forum on Friday, where the membership received information on how the decision to remove body checking at peewee came about. Delegates also provided Hockey Alberta with information on how the organization can better help Minor Hockey Associations (MHAs) transition with the new ruling.
- The memberhsip was presented with information on the Alberta Hockey Summit which will take place August 22-24, 2013 at the Banff Centre in Banff, Alberta.
- Terry Engen (Eckville) was acclaimed as Chair of the Board.
- Fran Zinger (Sherwood Park) was acclaimed as Vice-Chair of the Board.
- Rob Virgil (Edmonton) moves to the position of Past-Chair of the Board.
- David Sevalrud (Calgary) was acclaimed as Director at Large
President’s Award Winner – Fran Zinger (Sherwood Park) – Hockey Alberta Board Member
2013-14 Board of Directors
Chairman of the Board – Terry Engen (Eckville) - Acclaimed
Vice Chair of the Board – Fran Zinger (Sherwood Park) - Acclaimed
Past Chair – Rob Virgil (Edmonton)
Executive Director - Rob Litwinski (Red Deer)
Director of Operations – Fred Horbay (Crowsnest Pass)
Director at Large – David Sevalrud (Calgary) - Acclaimed
Director of Finance – Len Samletzki (Edmonton)
Director at Large – Laury Schmidt (High River)
On Saturday, the Hockey Alberta Foundation hosted the Hockey Alberta Awards Gala. Over 450 people attended and over $20,000 was generated supporting the Hockey Alberta Foundation. The following people and organizations were presented with a Hockey Alberta Award for 2012-2013:
Hockey Alberta Award Winners:
Minor Hockey Association Executive of the Year: Jacki Cook – Cold Lake Minor Hockey
Minor Hockey Association of the Year: Slave Lake Minor Hockey Association
Meritorious Award winners:
- Dennis Aspeslet (Grimshaw Minor Hockey)
- Donald Roberts (AMHL)
- Sherri Barrett (Nanton Minor Hockey)
Hockey Alberta Development Award Winners:
- Lance McKinnon (Calgary)
- Gary Snydmiller (Camrose)
Investors Group Exceptional Provincials Host Site Award:
- Oyen Minor Hockey Association
- Redwater Minor Hockey Association
Hockey Alberta Officiating Award Winners:
Brad Buchinski (Peace Zone); Ron Oscroft, Sanjeev Bhagrath, and Ryan Weyland (North Zone); Chris Reid (North East Zone); CJ Senkow (North Central Zone); Rick Oberton, Beau Gavin and Jan Kruis (Central Zone); Todd Sharpe (South Zone)
Ernie Boruk Award (Officiating): Mark Woytkiw (Elk Point)
Dave Ganley Award (Officiating):
- Scott McNabb (Calgary)
- Dean Ziegler (St. Albert)
Future Leader Scholarship Winners (Distinguished Leaders):
- Brett Bartman (University of Calgary) - $4,000.00
- Drew Nichol (University of Alberta) – $4,000.00
Future Leader Officiating Scholarship Winners (Distinguished Leaders):
- Brendan Balagus (SAIT) - $2,500.00
- Chris Rebus (University of Alberta) - $2,500.00
The 2013 inductees into the Alberta Hockey Hall of Fame were also recognized at the Hockey Alberta Awards Gala.
Alberta Hockey Hall of Fame Inductees:
- 1980-81 SAIT Trojans Men’s Hockey Team
- Don Phelps (Calgary) – Calgary Canucks and Drumheller Minors
- Richard (Rick) Polutnik (Red Deer) – Founding Member of Hockey Canada’s National Coach Mentorship program and current IIHF Ambassador and Coach Mentor
- John (Jake) Jacobs (Stettler) – Former Referee-in-Chief and Referee Council Member
- 1947-48 Edmonton Flyers Men’s Senior Hockey Team