Ali Stead is a hockey player and social media influencer. Having only started playing hockey a few years ago, she developed her skills quickly, and is now passionate about sharing her love and knowledge for the game. Be sure to check back every Thursday for the latest drill!
Wide Pulls - Backhand
The top players in the game have the ability to extend their puck handling range to beat opponents. Start with this simple stationary drill to get the feel of moving the puck out wide under control.
Challenge yourself to move the puck out as wide as possible using the points listed below:
- Start in a good hockey stance with knees bent, head and chest up
- Keep the puck narrow to start and work up to full extension
- Stay low and shift weight from one leg to the other
- Top hand must be active, roll the wrist to cradle/pinch the puck
- Adjust elevation of the top hand, moving the top hand lower to the ground will extend range even further
For more Hockey at Home videos, go to hockeyalberta.ca/hockey-home