Calgary - A week removed from his keynote address at Hockey Alberta’s 2016 Hockey Conference and Annual General Meeting, Dr. Stephen Norris has been confirmed as the Keynote Speaker for the 2016 Coaches Conference.
Dr. Norris headlines a group of 14 speakers set to present during the two-day conference at Mount Royal University in Calgary June 18-19.
During his presentation on Friday, members of Alberta’s hockey community were challenged by Dr. Norris to take a serious look at what the future looks like, and to remember that the future needs to focus on the children in their organization. A similar challenge will likely be put forth to the coaches in attendance this weekend as Dr. Norris focuses on the roles of coaches and the effects they have on athletes.
Dr. Norris is a Consultant, Performance and Development with Hockey Canada, after previously serving as the Executive Vice-President and Chief Sport Officer at the WinSport Canada in Calgary. He played a key role as consultant to the ‘Own The Podium’ program high performance/technical group in the five years prior to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games. And he was one of the five founding members and contributors to the ‘Canadian Sport For Life’ movement concerning athlete/participant development and the concept of ‘physical literacy’ within Canada.
Along with presentations, coaches will take part in an interactive hot stove, breakout sessions, social and networking opportunities. The full list of confirmed speakers/topics is as follows:
- Dr. Stephen Norris (Consultant, Performance and Development, Hockey Canada) - Keynote Address
- Kalle Valiaho (Regional Coach, Finnish Ice Hockey Association) - International Excellence
- Mel Davidson (General Manager, National Women’s Team Programs) - Preparing for Short Term Competition
- Guy Gadowsky (Head Coach, Penn State University Men’s team) - Teaching Habits over Systems
- Shaun Clouston (Head Coach/General Manager, Medicine Hat Tigers) - Creating a Blueprint for Success
- Steve Hamilton (Head Coach, Edmonton Oil Kings) - Coaching the Right Way
- David Marcoux (Goaltending Coach, Carolina Hurricanes) - Goalie Strategies and Goal Scoring
- Jeff Truitt (Associate Coach, Red Deer Rebels) - Special Teams
- Corey McNabb (Director of Hockey Development, Hockey Canada) - Linking Practice to Games
- Bert Gilling (Head Coach, Mount Royal University Cougars Men’s team) - The Transition Game
- Tyler Dellow (Analytics Consultant, Edmonton Oilers) - Stats and Analytics
- Barry Medori (Team Alberta Coach Mentor, Hockey Alberta) - Creating a Team Culture
- Fran Gow (Provincial Coach Mentor, Hockey Alberta/VP Hockey Operations, AJHL) - Game and Bench Management
- Matt Brown (Mental Training Consultant) - Mental Preparation and Awareness
The 2016 Hockey Alberta Coaches Conference is open to coaches of all levels. The registration fee is $350, and includes conference presentations and breakout sessions, conference program/speaker materials, a registration gift, two lunches, one breakfast, one supper and a coaches social, and draw prizes.