RED DEER - Hockey Alberta is now accepting volunteer applications for the 2022 Spring Showcase. Various roles and opportunities are available, including: Off-ice Officials, Ticket Scanners, Ceremonies and Special Events, Livestreaming and Generalist.
Hosted at the Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre in Red Deer, the Spring Showcase includes the Alberta Cup that runs April 27 - May 1, followed by the Alberta Challenge on May 4-8 and is capped off with the Prospects Cup running May 11-15.
Position areas include:
- Off-Ice Officials: Penalty box attendants, score clock operators and score keepers. Scoring will be tracked using an online game sheet application. Volunteers for this role will be required to have experience working in or volunteering in similar roles and must be willing to learn new technologies and adapt to Hockey Alberta game protocols.
- Ticket Scanners: Responsible for scanning tickets when ticket holders enter the game for the first time. Volunteers would also be responsible for placing wrist bands on ticket holders. No experience is required for this position.
- Selling 50/50’s: Responsible for selling 50/50’s and collecting money. Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Ceremonies and Special Events: Support various elements relating to game presentation. This includes preparing and organizing items required for pre and post-game ceremonies such as awards and gifting. In addition, volunteers will be required to meet and greet delegates and participants providing them with information and guidance pertaining to their role for the ceremony. Ceremonies volunteers must be comfortable being in the public eye, as they will also be assisting on-ice with post-game awards and presentations.
- Livestreaming: On-air personalities (play-by-play, colour commentators, interview hosts), camera operators. A play-by-play announcer describes the game that’s going on as it happens. Colour commentators offer some analysis of the game. Interview hosts would conduct interviews that could air during broadcasts, or at other times during the event. On-air experience is definitely beneficial, as is knowledge of Hockey Alberta’s elite hockey leagues, AFHL and AEHL.
- Generalist: Assist in various different capacities, including packaging and distribution of volunteer apparel, printing and producing event accreditation, assisting with event VIP needs and monitoring the volunteer lounge.
Those interested in applying may indicate which event they would like to volunteer at, as well as preferred shifts.
Spring Showcase partner opportunities are available. For more information, see the package below or contact Danielle Kraichy, [email protected].
Partner Package >
The 2022 Spring Showcase will display the top male and female talent at the Alberta Cup, Alberta Challenge and Prospects Cup. For the Alberta Challenge and Prospects Cup (formerly the Peewee Prospects), this is the first step for athletes entering into the Team Alberta program. For Alberta Cup athletes it is an opportunity for players to showcase their talents in hopes of being invited to U16 Team Alberta Summer Camp and ultimately representing Team Alberta at the 2023 Canada Winter Games.
Prior to the showcase, regional camps will be hosted throughout the province for players.
2022 Alberta Cup - April 27 - May 1
The Alberta Cup features male players born in 2007.
Regional camps run April 1-3 in Spruce Grove, Calgary and Red Deer.
2022 Alberta Challenge - May 4-8
The Alberta Challenge features female players born in 2007 and 2008.
Regional camps run April 8-10 in Cochrane and Beaumont.
2022 Prospects Cup - May 11-15
The Prospects Cup features male players born in 2009.
Regional camps run April 15-17 in Olds, Calgary, Vegreville and Edmonton.