2022 Alberta Challenge Coach Application
The Alberta Challenge allows for athlete evaluation and development through regional selection camps and a six-team tournament format. Athletes will be selected from regional selection camps with three teams representing each region. U15-aged players (2007 & 2008-born) are eligible for the 2022 Alberta Challenge. Regional camps are open tryouts and are held in April prior to the Challenge.
As part of the program an emphasis is placed on the development and identification of Alberta’s best hockey people who might have an opportunity to represent Alberta at future national or international events. The Alberta Challenge leads able participants through the development process to the Team Alberta program.
The preparation and training of the coaches, trainers and on-ice officials for the Alberta Challenge is crucial to the success of the program and ensures quality leadership for the future of hockey in Alberta.
2022 Alberta Challenge: May 4-8 (Red Deer)
- We are looking for one head coach and two assistant coaches to lead each Alberta Challenge Zone Team through regional camps and the Alberta Challenge competition.
- Open tryout for all female athletes registered with Hockey Alberta born in 2007 & 2008.
- Applicants should be coaching at the competitive U15 level or higher and all applicants must have a minimum of Development I Level qualification.
- All applications must be submitted via the online application form to the Hockey Alberta Office by November 15, 2021.
- Coaches will be selected and notified by the Hockey Alberta Coaches Selection Committee.
- Unsuccessful coaches will be notified by email.
The following are some of the criteria considered in selecting coaches for Hockey Alberta Development programs:
a) Professional Development
- Minimum level of NCCP Development I Qualification required by all coaches applying
- Education background
- Leadership/Management training courses
- Special volunteer experience in Hockey or Sport
b) Coaching/Hockey Experience
- Level of playing experience
- Level of coaching experience
- Current coaching position
c) Coaching Philosophy
- Personal coaching philosophy
- Personal ambitions in coaching
- Values as a coach
- Knowledge of building team unity
- Knowledge of how to work with others
- Technical/tactical knowledge for short term competition
- Knowledge of player selection/evaluation
Program Timelines and Expected Commitment
All coaches are expected to commit to the following activities:
Team Planning Conference Calls
January - March (set by each individual team)
April 8-10, 2022 in Beaumont (North) and Cochrane (South)
Alberta Challenge Competition
May 4-8, 2022 (Red Deer)
Please also note that these coaching positions are not paid positions and all coaches are required to complete a Criminal Record Check. Your expenses, including mileage, meals and accommodation costs will be covered through the program as budgeted funds allow. Bearing all the above in mind, we would ask all those coaches interested in applying to coach, please complete the form below.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Taryn Baumgardt, Coordinator, Female Hockey at [email protected]