CALGARY – The inaugural Hockey Alberta Coaches Conference will have an international feel, as Kalle Valiaho of the Finnish Ice Hockey Association is among the 13 speakers already confirmed for the two-day event.
Along with Valiaho, attendees can look forward to hearing from Mel Davidson, General Manager of the National Women’s Team programs, Penn State University Head Coach Guy Gadowski, and Medicine Hat Tigers Head Coach and General Manager Shaun Clouston, fresh off a stint as Head Coach of Team Canada at the IIHF U18 World Championship.
Along with presentations, coaches will take part in an interactive hot stove, breakout sessions, social and networking opportunities. The full list of confirmed speakers/topics is as follows:
- Kalle Valiaho (Regional Coach, Finnish Ice Hockey Association) – International Excellence
- Mel Davidson (General Manager, National Women’s Team Programs) – Preparing for Short Term Competition
- Guy Gadowsky (Head Coach, Penn State University Men’s team) – Teaching Habits over Systems
- Shaun Clouston (Head Coach/General Manager, Medicine Hat Tigers) – Creating a Blueprint for Success
- Steve Hamilton (Head Coach, Edmonton Oil Kings) – Coaching the Right Way
- David Marcoux (Goaltending Coach, Carolina Hurricanes) – Goalie Strategies and Goal Scoring
- Jeff Truitt (Associate Coach, Red Deer Rebels) - Special Teams
- Corey McNabb (Director of Hockey Development, Hockey Canada) – Linking Practice to Games
- Bert Gilling (Head Coach, Mount Royal University Cougars Men’s team) – The Transition Game
- Tyler Dellow (Analytics Consultant, Edmonton Oilers) - Stats and Analytics
- Barry Medori (Team Alberta Coach Mentor, Hockey Alberta) – Creating a Team Culture
- Fran Gow (Provincial Coach Mentor, Hockey Alberta/VP Hockey Operations, AJHL) – Game and Bench Management
- Matt Brown (Mental Training Consultant) – Mental Preparation and Awareness
The 2016 Hockey Alberta Coaches Conference is open to coaches of all levels.The registration fee is $350, and includes conference presentations and breakout sessions, conference program/speaker materials, a registration gift, two lunches, one breakfast, one supper and a coaches social, and draw prizes.