Return to Hockey
COVID-19 Update - November 27
This Hockey Alberta FAQ with answers to several key questions arising from the Public Health Order issued November 12, and the state of public health emergency that was declared on November 24. The FAQ document was updated on November 27 to include current information on exemption criteria.
This flow chart has been created to help families navigate their way through the expectations and process when a player is showing symptoms or has been tested for COVID-19.
*NOTE: The chart has been updated as of November 1, 2020, to reflect updated Alberta Health Services guidelines.
This chart will continue be updated, as required, based on changes to Alberta Health Services protocols.
The following updates are included in this version of the Return to Hockey Plan:
- In the Return to Hockey Programming section (Section 2): updated timelines and program options for all levels of hockey.
- In Protocols and Safety (Section 3): a new Game Considerations Checklist for host teams.
- In Communications (Section 4): an updated Hockey Alberta FAQ document.
- In On-Ice Officials (Section 7): updated information on clinics and assigning, and a link to the On-Ice Officials Return to Hockey Plan.
- Appendices have been removed (and relocated to the Hockey Alberta website) or renumbered.
Hockey Alberta has worked with Hockey Canada and other provincial branches, Government of Alberta, Provincial Sport Organizations, and our Members, staff and volunteers to develop Alberta’s Return to Hockey Plan. The Return to Hockey Plan meets the current health and safety requirements of the Government of Alberta and aligns with Hockey Canada’s Return to Hockey Safety Guidelines in focusing on the safety and well-being of all participants. Updated versions of the Plan will be circulated to Hockey Alberta Members, and posted to this webpage, as required based on changes to the Government of Alberta’s Relaunch Plan.
Return to Hockey Plan Updates - October 9
Please note that some updates have been made to Hockey Alberta’s current Return to Hockey Plan. No content has changed in the body of the document, but the Member FAQ document has been updated with information pertaining to Substitute Goaltender Guidelines. The updated FAQ and the Guidelines document can be accessed below:
PLEASE NOTE SOME APPENDICES ARE LARGE FILES. PLEASE REVIEW EACH APPENDIX INDIVIDUALLY.
- Appendix 1: Cohort Examples >
- Appendix 2: Player Selection Resource >
- Appendix 3: Senior and Junior Hockey >
- Senior/ Junior Cohort Roster Declaration Form >
- Appendix 4: Minor Hockey >
- Appendix 5: Intro to Hockey >
- Appendix 6: Hockey Canada Safety Guidelines >
- Appendix 7: Hockey Canada Safety Guidelines FAQ >
- Appendix 8: Roles and Responsibilities >
- Appendix 9: Game Preparation Checklist >
- Appendix 10: Hockey Alberta Member FAQ >
- Appendix 11: Hockey Alberta Officials Plan >
- Information Bulletin 19-12 - Hockey Canada update COVID-19
- Hockey Canada Return to Hockey Safety Guidelines
- Safety Guidelines FAQ Document
May 14: Letter from Hockey Canada
April 28: Hlinka Gretzky Cup cancelled
April 3: Hockey Alberta update
March 19: Hockey Alberta staff working remotely
March 12: COVID 19, Hockey Canada Statement