High Performance 1
This seminar is hosted once a year for a full week in July at Hockey Alberta’s offices in Red Deer. It includes professional speakers in the delivery of sessions including special teams, planning to perform, offensive/defensive team play, goaltending, game and bench management, ethics in coaching, teambuilding and many more.
In addition to classroom sessions, coaches will be provided practical learning and development by running on-ice session and coach on the bench with our AJHL Player Development camp which is run the same week. Coaches selected to attend this Seminar will be guided by some of the best leaders and mentors in Canada.
HP1 is a full week, and coaches will need to come committed and prepared for long days. The seminar includes both individual and group tasks, and assignments that will be used to support the delegates in becoming fully certified as a High Performance 1 Coach.
Coaches are considered ‘trained’ after 100% attendance in the course, to meet requirements of being ‘certified’ coaches must successfully complete the written assignment, field evaluation, and Making Ethical Decisions Online Evaluation by the set deadlines.
Applications for 2020 High Performance 1 will open in February of 2020.
The Requirement set nationally is that “All Head Coaches coaching U15, U18 and Junior A teams that compete in Inter-provincial or National Championships or the highest level as determined by the branch, must be High Performance 1 Certified. It is recommended that all Assistant Coaches be at minimum Development 1 trained.”
Please refer to Coach Requirements for those who would require this course for coaching within Alberta.
Coaches looking to apply should meet the following criteria:
- Currently coach elite athletes in a competitive stream
- Currently or will be coaching in one of the 5 required leagues
- Certified at the Development 1 Level
Field Evaluation Criteria:
- Male Stream: HC at the U15 AA level or higher, or be an AC at the U15 AAA level or higher under proper guidance, or HC at Team Alberta Competition
- Female Stream: HC at the U18 AAA or higher, or be an AC at the College, University or Senior AAA Level, or HC at a Team Alberta Competition.
2020 Seminar Information
July 21-26 in Red Deer, AB
$1350 (plus GST): HP1 Seminar
$1600 (plus GST): HP1 Seminar + accommodations
HP1 seminar includes:
- Daily Meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner)
- All required course material & coaching resources
- Track suit & registration gift
- Written assignment marking & field evaluation fee
Coaching applications will be accepted until April 30. Coaches will be notified of their acceptance by May 15.
2020 High Performance 1 Seminar Application
Please fill out the High Performance 1 Seminar application in its entirety, including your hockey resume.