Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
In October 2021, Hockey Alberta created a Task Force on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion to review and build recommendations with respect to addressing racism in hockey and making the sport more diverse and inclusive for all Albertans. The task force has now been instated as a full time committee of Hockey Alberta. The committee will focus on creating opportunities to:
- the experiences of former and current players of underrepresented groups and marginalized communities around lack of inclusion and racism in our sport.
- the experiences of those in Alberta who were reluctant to participant in the sport due to its lack of inclusion and racism in our sport.
- using a public engagement process to understand the current environment from the perspective of those that have left the game or felt they have not been included in the game.
- build recommendations that can be used to have action towards closing the gaps both short and long term in the game that exist between the environment we wish to have and the current environment.
- the learnings of this work and recommendations on the history of racism and discrimination in the sport and the need to address it whenever it surfaces.
- to make this an ongoing sustainable priority for Hockey Alberta through recommended policies, standards, and resources for Hockey Alberta and its stakeholders.