2022 Prospects Cup Coach Application
The Team Alberta Prospects Cup is part of the Hockey Alberta Development Program. It provides all players, coaches and trainers an equal opportunity to discover the great qualities of competitive hockey in a well-organized and fair Zone Camp and Select Team competition.
As part of the program an emphasis is placed on the development and identification of Alberta’s best hockey people; that might have an opportunity to represent Alberta at future national or international events. The Prospects Cup leads able participants through the development process to the Alberta Cup, Team Alberta and Team Canada programs.
The preparation and training of the coaches and trainers for the Prospects Cup is crucial to the success of the program and ensures quality leadership for the future of Hockey in Alberta. Hockey Alberta routinely selects only the best available coaches, trainers and referees to develop, but ensures their commitment to excellence and fairness in the program.
2023 Prospects Cup: May 10-14 (Red Deer)
- We are looking for one head coach and two assistant coaches to lead each Prospects Cup regional team through the regional camps, and the Prospects Cup competition.
- Open tryout for all male athletes born in 2010.
- Head Coach applicants should be coaching at the competitive Peewee level or higher, and must have a minimum of Development I Level qualification.
- Assistant Coach applicants must have a minimum of Coach Level 2.
- All applications must be received into the Hockey Alberta Office on or before November 3.
- Coaches will be selected & notified by the Hockey Alberta Coaches Selection Committee.
- Unsuccessful coaches will be notified by email.
The following will be some of the criteria considered in selecting coaches for Hockey Alberta Development Programs:
a) Professional Development
- Minimum level of NCCP Development I Qualification required by all coaches applying
- Education background
- Leadership/Management training courses
- Special volunteer experience in Hockey or Sport
b) Coaching/Hockey Experience
- Level of playing experience
- Level of coaching experience
- Current coaching position
c) Coaching Philosophy
- Personal coaching philosophy
- Personal ambitions in coaching
- Values as a coach
- Knowledge of building team unity
- Knowledge of how to work with others
- Technical/tactical knowledge for short term competition
- Knowledge of player selection/evaluation
Program Timelines and Expected Commitment
All coaches are expected to commit to the following activities:
The competition will be eight teams. There will be a draft at each of the four regional camps. There will be two Directors of Operations, six Coaches and two Coach Mentors at each camp.
Team Planning Conference Calls
January - March (set by each individual team)
April 14-16, 2023 (Olds, Calgary, Vegreville & Edmonton)
Prospects Cup Competition
May 10-14, 2023 (Red Deer)
Please also note that these coaching positions are not paid positions and all coaches are required to complete a Criminal Record Check. Your expenses, including mileage, meals and accommodation costs will be accommodated through the program as budgeted funds allow. Bearing all the above in mind, we would ask all those coaches interested in applying to coach, please complete the form below.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Hudson Kelly, Coordinator, Elite Male Hockey at [email protected]